Trailer Tracking (PLC)
This is a low cost solution for tracking trailers. The unit is fitted to the brake light at the rear of the trailer.
Trailer Tracking (PLC)
New for 2012 is our low cost trailer tracking ID unit which comprises of two devices. Firstly is a small ID unit that is fitted to the brake light on the rear of the trailer. This becomes energised when the brake light is powered up on a braking event. A unique ID is then sent over the trailers wiring loom and through the susie connector by over-laying the information onto the 24v DC vehicle electrics. On the main tractor unit just connected to the trailer is a sensor device listening for this ID from the power supply. Once received, it then identifies the relevant trailer and displays this on the tracking account and "borrows" the tractor unit's GPS position as long as it is connected. This "proxy" tracking works well where a company uses their own dedicated fleet and have many trailers as a ration to tractors. Called Power Line Communication (plc) it is similar to many home broadband offerings where wifi signals are poor in a home.
Once the trailer is disconnected the ID unit will stop reporting in and the last known plot point is used to reference where the trailer has been left - assuming that the air-brakes prevent the trailer from being moved once power is lost.
This is not an independent GPS tracking option as there is no GPS position sent form the device and it is not a self-powered unit.
- Installation is less than one hour
- Suitable for all trailers
- Can be used with any truck/trailer combination
- No batteries
- No interference with braking system
- System is suitable for all trailer types.
- Compatible with all HGV OEM types.
- Can be used with any HGV / trailer configuration or combination
- Power consumption +/- 20 mA
- No batteries required , low maintenance.
- System shows when "coupled", "de-coupled" and "connected"
- Solid state ID unit is fully water proof
- Does not interfere with braking system.
- System is not a GPS device, merely allows visibility of connection of a unique trailer ident using existing power looms on both trailer and tractor units.
- Trailer ID - 2x2x1,3 cm IP67
- Trailer Data Transceiver 1,3x2,4x4 cm IP67
- low cost solution for tracking trailers
- only works where dedicated tractor fleet has Trailer Data Transceiver ( TDT ) fitted to read ID unit's ident when connected
- trailer given "proxy" tracking by piggy backing tractor units GPS position
- assumes when trailer is "de-coupled" that air-brakes keep trailer in same place, if a foreign tractor unit tows the trailer subsequently then trailer location will be lost
- no data charges or ongoing costs
- allows multiple trailers to be added in tandem